Sugar free almond milk ice cream recipe
I even checked out Friendly’s website and though I couldn’t figure out what other flavors I used to get, Chocolate Almond Chip is still there.
There’s a reason :-).
Now, I’ve never been one to turn down ice cream in any form (someday I’ll share the gorey details of my summers working in an ice cream parlor), but ice cream full of chunks has always been a favorite of mine.
If you feel the same way, then do I have a treat for you.
Chocolate Almond Chip Ice Cream, full (really full) of almonds and chocolate (or carob) chunks.
(And absent of dairy and sugar, for those on special diets :-)!)
This whole dairy-free ice cream adventure started on our recent trip to Chicago. My family always likes to visit Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s whenever we visit to grab some food to get us through our trip (since we never go out) and to stock up on a few things.
Well, this time we got the chance to sample some coconut milk, no sugar-added ice cream. And we were hooked.
And wouldn’t you know it – it was on sale.
Good thing –the regular price was something horrendous — even on sale it was $3.59 / pint.
Well, though I am not one to spend $3.59 a pint on anything, I splurged on Mint Chip as well as Chocolate flavors and some gluten-free cones. Guess what our breakfast was the next day :-)!
The consensus in our family was that the chocolate was too bitter.
Well, not this version. It was gone-gone-gone in our household in a flash!
By the way, any of the following links may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and helps keep this free resource up and running.
Chocolate Almond Chip Coconut Milk Ice Cream
Makes approximately 6 cups (1 1/2 quarts) ice cream
4 cups Easiest Coconut Milk
1/2 – 3/4 cup sweetener (xylitol or erythritol work great)
3/4 cup cocoa or powder (I recommend )
1 Tbsp, , or cornstarch for creaminess (See Notes and avoid the arrowroot and cornstarch for a low carb option)
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt (I recommend )
3/4 cup chocolate/carob chips (Use my Homemade Chocolate / Carob Chips for a low carb option)
3/4 cup chopped almonds (soaked and dehydrated if possible)
1. Add coconut milk, sweetener, cocoa or carob powder, arrowroot, vanilla and salt in blender or food processor. Mix well.
2. Add mixture to ice cream maker and process following manufacturer’s instructions.
3. When mixture starts to thicken, add almonds and chocolate chips.
1. Milks: You can, of course, substitute dairy or other milk alternatives as you like. Among the dairy alternatives, almond will be one of the better options to promote creaminess of the final product.
2. **Sweeteners: I recommend using the healthiest option that you have available to you. Since I am on a completely sugar-free diet, I opted for alternative sweeteners and used a combination of and, which worked great. As a rule, I recommend, honey or over and above these alternatives, but I seem to have a reaction to stevia ad can’t eat the others, so I am working through this issue as best I can. More on alternative sweeteners soon :-).
3. Ice Cream Maker: I used the, and it turned out great, but you really have to follow the directions with this machine. The bowl needs to be completely chilled in the freezer first, used immediately, and the mixture needs to be chilled. Otherwise, it’s “soft serve city” :-(.
4. I am still working on perfecting the creaminess of this ice cream, but the arrowroot certainly helped. If you are on a low carb plan (like THM), use the, or about 1/2 the amount of but add gelatin to the coconut milk first to let it sit for a few minutes before proceeding with the recipe.
Let me know how long it lasts (or doesn’t) in your house!
MORE SUGAR-FREE, ALLERGY-FRIENDLY DESSERTS:
– Mint Chocolate Chip Coconut Milk Ice Cream
– Homemade “Jello”
Alice Foods Thyroid Support Supplement with Iodine + "Thyroid Disorders" Guide - Premium Natural Ingredients - Improves Energy Levels and Metabolism - Pack of 60 Capsules - Perfect for Men and Women
Health and Beauty (Alice Foods)
How many calories does braums sugar free chocolate almond ice cream have?
Chocolate Almond Ice Cream (Braum's) Serving Size: 1/2 cup, Calories: 130, Fat: 5g, Carbs: 18g, Protein: 4g.