Indian Chicken curry Recipes with coconut milk
Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk
A fantastic and flavorful chicken curry that is a regular at our home. This favorite chicken curry recipe is usually prepared as a side with flavored rice like Tomato Pulao. Coconut milk and poppy seeds are essential in the preparation of the curry. The chicken simmers in a concoction of yogurt, coconut milk, poppy seeds and garam masala to yield a rich creamy textured curry. Tomato Pulao with Chicken curry made for a deliciously comforting meal.
Coconut Chicken Curry
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Serves: 5
- Coconut Milk
- Chicken: 1 kg (washed, cut into bite sized pieces)
- Yogurt: 1/2 cup (curd)
- Lemon juice: 1/4 lemon
- Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder: 1 tbsp
- Cumin powder: 1/4 tsp
- Red Chili Powder: 1 1/2 tsp
- Poppy seeds: 1 tbsp (soak in little milk and make paste)
- Red Onion: 2 (large, finely chopped)
- Garam masala powder: 1 cardamom, 1/2 " cinnamon and 5 cloves finely ground
- Star anise: 1
- Cinnamon: 1"
- Thick coconut milk: 3/4 cup
- Coriander leaves: 2 tbsps (finely chopped for garnish)
- salt to taste
- Oil: 2 tbsps
- Make a paste:
- Green chilies: 3
- Ginger: 1 1/2" piece
- Garlic: 6 cloves
- Marinate the chicken in yogurt, coriander pwd, cumin pwd, turmeric pwd, lemon juice and half of the ground ginger-garlic-green chili paste for 10 mts.
- Heat oil in a cooking vessel, add the star anise, cinnamon stick and chopped onions and fry for 4 mts. Add the remaining ground ginger-garlic-green chili paste and saute for 4 mts. Add red chili powder and mix.
- Add the marinated chicken and cook on high heat for 4 mts, mixing once in a while.
- Reduce to medium heat, add salt and poppy seeds paste and mix well. Let the chicken cook in this paste for 8-10 mts, uncovered. Cook till oil separates. Add 1 1/2 cups water and mix. Bring to a boil, reduce flame and cook for 13-14 mts.
- Finally add garam masala pwd, mix well. Add thick coconut milk and cook on medium flame for 3-4 mts. Turn off heat and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with white steamed rice, coconut rice, any flavored or rotis.
Organic Indian Spice Kit Sampler by Masala Mama - Non-vegetarian 6 Pack - Organic Curry Spice Blends
Grocery (Masala Mama)
can i use coconut milk instead of single cream in curry recipe? | Yahoo Answers
You should put 0%fat yoghurt because coconut cream will not give milk cream taste.