Recipe for condensed milk Fudge
Indian Sweets have many many options of Burfis. Burfis can be fudge like or candy like bars that can be made from grains, bean flours, coconut, nuts, milk solids and more. Burfis in general depend on dairy for ghee (clarified butter) or milk (milk solids, milk powder, condensed milk etc). There are also options that are by default dairy-free. Every year I vegan-ize a few options for the Indian festivals.
This year we have a fudgy condensed milk Besan Burfi (Chickpea flour fudge) made dairy-free with a condensed non dairy milk! Just 5 main ingredients and ready in 25 minutes if you roast the flour while the milk mixture thickens! The non dairy condensed milk uses almond milk + ground cashew. You can also soak the 3 tbsp whole cashews for a few hours then blend in with the almond milk and proceed. The mixture will thicken slightly faster than the ground cashew version.
There are many variations of Besan Burfis depending on family recipes and regions. They are also called other names (Burfi, Mysore Pak, Mohanthal) depending on the method, consistency etc. Besan (gram flour) or chickpea flour can be dry roasted, roasted in the fat, roasted with some other flours or with dairy. The burfi can use dry sugar, sugar syrup, sugar syrup added at a particular time, other sweet syrups based on jaggery or milk and on and on for different textures and flavor profiles. The resulting mixture can be shaped into Burfi bars or into round Ladoos. We know the common theme here, sweet + besan (pronounced bay-sun or bae-sun).
Make some Indian or fusion sweets or savory snacks for Diwali and drop by your neighbors (preferably unannounced :)), and share some happy stories of the year! Happy Diwali!
More vegan Indian Sweets for the festival season
Make the fudge mixture. Transfer to parchment, even it out using s spatula or another parchment.
Slice into squares.
Stick some slivered nuts on top (optional). Cool and store.
Besan Burfi with Condensed Milk. Indian Chickpea flour fudge with Condensed non dairy milk. Besan Burfi for Diwali. Fudge Sweet Gluten free Vegan Indian Recipe. 5 Main ingredients. Omit the oil ot make oil-free. Makes 12 to 16 pieces.
Author: Vegan Richa
Recipe type: Dessert
For the roasted Besan/chickpea flour:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup besan or chickpea flour
For the condensed non dairy milk:
- 1 cup almond milk or soy milk or other not too thin non dairy milk
- ½ cup +1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp refined coconut oil or use vegan butter
- 2.5 tbsp cashew flour (grind cashews with a bit of starch or flour. or without. pulse till somewhat evenly ground/just starting to get buttery, and use)
- a pinch of salt
- Flavor additions: ¼ tsp ground cardamom, 5 strands of saffron, ½ tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp rose water or other
- slivered almonds or pistachios for garnish
Roast the besan/chickpea flour:
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add besan or chickpea flour, preferably sieved if using besan. Mix and roast for 10 minutes. Stir every 20-30 seconds once the skillet is hot. If the flour starts to brown too quickly, reduce the heat. The overall mixture should change color slightly and smell nutty. To make oil-free, dry roast the flour. it takes the same time. You can roast the flour while the condensed milk is thickening.
Nestle Carnation Instant Nonfat Dry Milk, 9.6 Ounce Pouch
What are some recipes using sweet condensed milk(quick and easy)? | Yahoo Answers
Key lime pie
Make a graham crust with the graham crackers, sugar and butter. (1 cup graham crumbs plus 1/3 cup butter plus 1/4 cup butter)
For the filling, It's just sweetened condensed milk (1 can), plus 4 egg yolks and 1/4 cup lime juice.
Bake the crust (no filling).
Add the filling to the crust and optionally (it doesn't have to be baked but I do) bake the pie for about another 12 minutes (all at 350f)