Milk chocolate Truffles recipe
Please welcome guest author Garrett McCord who is helping us get ready for Valentine’s Day with these easy-to-make chocolate truffles. ~Elise
Want to show me romance and sweep me off my feet? Then cook for me.
Flowers are a sweet gesture, but I don’t have a vase so they end up sitting on my table in an Indiana Jones Big Gulp cup and then my cats end up eating them anyway. Gifts and tokens are sweet and while I may say thank you out loud in my mind I’m saying, “Great, now I have more crud in my house and no place to put it!”
No, if you want to make me swoon, then cook for me. If you don’t know how to cook, make me chocolate truffles.
Truffles are the simplest of candy to make; cream, chocolate, and time is all it takes to create something blissfully elegant, decadent, and delicious. Be sure to use high quality chocolate, and if you can find it, chocolate that is 62% cacao or higher, and organic cream, as the quality of these ingredients will affect the final product.
From the recipe archive, first posted 2009.Print
Basic truffle ingredients
- 8 ounces of semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate (high quality, 62% cacao or higher), well chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Optional base flavorings:
- Mint leaves (1 bunch, stems removed, chopped, about 1 cup)
- Cinnamon and cardamon (1 cinnamon stick, 2 cardamom pods)
- Amaretto (1-2 tablespoons)
- Almond extract (1 teaspoon)
- Cocoa powder
- Finely chopped walnuts
- Finely chopped almonds
1 Heat cream to a simmer: In a small, heavy saucepan bring the heavy whipping cream to a simmer (stir and scrape down the sides with a spatula every few minutes).
If you are using one of the other recommended flavorings, stir it in with the cream (and ignore vanilla in the next step). If adding mint or other solids, after the cream simmers, remove from heat and let seep for an hour. Then strain away solids, and return the cream to a simmer and proceed with recipe.
2 Make chocolate base: Place the chocolate in a separate bowl. Pour the cream over the chocolate, add the vanilla, and allow to stand for a few minutes then stir until smooth. (This chocolate base is called ganache.)
3 Refrigerate for 2 hours: Allow to cool, then place in the refrigerator for two hours.
4 Roll into balls and chill overnight: Use a teaspoon to roll out balls of the ganache. Roll in your hands quickly (as it will melt from the heat of your hands) and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place in the refrigerator overnight.
5 Roll in cocoa powder: Roll in cocoa powder or chopped nuts and serve, or place back in the refrigerator until needed.
Hello! All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to How to Make Homemade Chocolate Truffles on Simply Recipes. Thank you!
- We want to offer the best manual and automatic devices that our client can use to obtain natural fruit juice from citrus and pomegranates, both in home and commercial use. melojuice.co.uk/product-category/manual-juicers/ Best manual orange and pomegranate juicers. You can prepare your favourite juice in less than 15 seconds.