Chocolate Burfi recipe milk powder
To make a homemade khoya or khoa lot of patience and time is needed which I do not have. So I generally prefer to buy from the Indian stores. You can make a simple khoya burfi or make a choco burfi. Sweeteners like raw cane sugar too can be used like I did to make chocolate kaju katli and chocolate sandesh. Since i made the two layer chocolate burfi, i had to use sugar. But if making a single layer barfi, you can use raw cane sugar.
chocolate burfi recipe can be made with flour or milk powder or nut powder. But nothing can beat the one made with mawa / khoya since it has all the richness of milk and milk alone.
NOTE: YOU CAN JUST INCREASE ONE TBSP. SUGAR THAN WHAT IS MENTIONED IN THE RECIPE. ADDING A LOT OF SUGAR RELEASES MORE MOISTURE AND THEN KHOYA HAS TO BE COOKED FOR LONG AND IT WILL DISCOLOR AND TURN STICKY.
You can find the complete collection of 100 diwali recipes here.
find chocolate burfi recipe below
chocolate burfi / fudge using milk solids called as khoya or mawa
Recipe type: Dessert
Yield / Serves: 16
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 2.5 cups of crumbled mawa (khoya or condensed milk solids)
- ¾ cup of sugar
- ⅛ tsp. Cardamom powder
- 1 tsp rose water or vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cocoa powder
- Few drops of coconut oil or any aroma free edible oil
- Defrost koya to room temperature. Crumble it well and add to a heavy bottom nonstick pan.
- Heat it on a very low flame constantly stirring to prevent burning
- When the koya gets warm, add sugar, cardamom powder rose water. you could increase the flame to medium
- Within a short while, sugar melts and the mixture turns to a halwa like consistency.
- Continue to cook stirring constantly, till it begins to leaves the sides of the pan and becomes thick like a mass. It must not be runny like halwa. Let the mix cool down completely.
- Divide the mix to 2 parts, knead one of them to a smooth dough, shape to a square on the greased foil.
- Add cocoa to the other part, Knead gently with greased palms till the dough looks soft.
- Place this over the first layer, sprinkle nuts. gently press if needed, but the layers stick on their own. Freeze it for 10 mins or refregerate for about 30 minutes.Cut chocolate burfi to desired shapes.
- Use up chocolate barfi with in 2 days, keep refrigerated.
sweetness was just enough, you could increase by one tbsp. Adding too much sugar will release more moisture and have to overcook the khoya, it discolors and turns sticky.
you can decrease or increase cocoa powder based on the color while kneading
Lindt Milk Chocolate Swiss Thins 125g