Vanilla Fudge recipe condensed milk
I wrote this post over a week ago all ready to it publish just before I went to Kendal Calling. The thing is though, I was having a bit of a nightmare trying to decide if I needed to take chocolate or strawberry cereal bars to the festival. Obviously I took chocolate. Since that’s a big decision I completely forgot to sent this post out, but here it is. Better late than never (I guess).
This fudge is rich, crumbly and very buttery. It’s probably the best vanilla fudge recipe I’ve come across, but I change it up a little along the way. Well when I say I little I mean a lot. In the end I’ve changed the type of butter, type of sugar and quantity of vanilla so it’s not really that much like the original recipe.
I’ll apologise right now for the awful lighting in these pictures. The clouds were trying to mess with me the day I made these so the fudge has come out looking a little orange-r on screen than it does in real life. So don’t worry if your fudge doesn’t come out as tantastic as it looks in these photos, it should be just a little bit paler than this.
- 300 ml milk
- 350 g golden caster sugar
- 100 g salted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Put the milk, butter and sugar into a large sauce pan and stir gently on a low heat until the sugar has dissolved and butter has melted. You will know the sugar has melted at scrapping the bottom of the pan with a spoon will no longer feel grainy.
- Bring to the the mixture up to a rolling boil and boil for 15 to 20 minutes stirring as often as possible.
- Once the fudge has reached soft ball stage (115°C on a sugar thermometer) add the vanilla and leave to cool for 5 mins. Continue boiling the mixture if it has not passed the soft ball test or has not reached the correct temperature.
- Next, stir the mixture with a spoon for a few minutes until it starts to thicken and the gloss disappears.
- Pour the mixture into a grease proof paper lined tin and leave to set at room temperature. This may take anywhere between 2 hours to over night.
Nestle Carnation Instant Nonfat Dry Milk, 9.6 Ounce Pouch